The Aboriginal Clan “Galgal balug” translated as “the people with tame dogs”, were the original inhabitants of the area now know as Lexton. In 1836 Major Thomas Mitchell, the explorer, travelled through the site of the future town of Lexton. Mitchell was on the return portion of his journey of exploration from Portland to Sydney. As he descended from the Pyrenees Range his journal entry for that day records. ”We descend into a valley of the finest description”.
|A tree in the middle of the bush in Caralulup where a large section o fthe tree has been cut away- perhaps as a crib for a baby, it seems too large to be a shield.|
ADHS Newsletter No. 148, MAY, 1997
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~adhs/149Jun97.html John Tully on the Dja Dja Warrung
- http://epress.anu.edu.au/apps/bookworm/view/Black+Gold/9891/cover.html Fred Cahir- "Black Gold"- awesome source!